Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Risquee

My husband and I were were talking the other night and I brought up the idea of risqee. It seems to me a worldy notion that usually refers to sexually perverse behaviour, anything on the 'edge' or not mainstream. What struck me is that in our world today, pretty much anything goes, so why is anything considered risqee, or risky? Where's the risk in any of these lifestyles or behaviours? No one cares what you do these days, in fact, you are somewhat more trendy and cool if you engage in certain lifestyles (i.e. homosexual, bi-sexual, ect...)

So it comes down to this: the risk is in the existance of a holy God. If there really is a God who created us and can also destroy us, and if the
Bible really is his word, and he really does hate sin, and Christians are telling the truth, then these sinful lifestyles will land you in hell someday, and that's quite a risk. But, this got me thinking about myself. I have my pet sins that I'm not anxious to change anytime soon, and why should I, I'm not in danger of hell. Right? I mean, my sins aren't that bad. Mostly, the worst things are only in my head, and I never do them. And who really cares if I'm disrespectful or just plain mean and arrogant to my husband ? I mean, it's mostly in private...Or what about being critical and self-righteous as long as I never say it out loud? I could go on, but I think I've made my point. We all engage in risqee behaviour all the time. It's called sin and it's dangerous. We tend to take it very lightly as if God doesn't really mind too much as long as we're saved.

I'm not trying to make a case for those who think if you sin and die before you have a chance to ask forgiveness before you die, you're going to hell, no matter how long you were a christian ect.. I know people like that and I think it's crazy. The truth is that ALL our sins have been (past tense) forgiven. Once for all, by Jesus, paid for. But there's also something to the idea that sin is serious and if we don't think it is, what does that speak of the Holy Spirit's presence in our lives?

I guess what I'm getting at is we need to be praying, always asking for grace for conviction. If I can logically look at myself and see sin yet not be convicted, then I get scared. It drives me back to God, to the throne of mercy to ask for help, because I know I'm in desperate need. I never want to look at sinners in the world without seeing myself there-- without remembering that I'd be the same (probably worse) if not for the Holy Spirit living in me, changing me, teaching me, helping me,convicting me and washing me with his word.
God help me not to be willing to risk any amount of sin in my life.

"His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire."
2 Peter 1:3&4




*Disclaimer: I also do not believe in entire sanctification, or christian perfection (in this life). While I don't think you will be perfect in this life, I do believe in progressive sanctification, growing in holiness, in an attitude of submission to God.

No comments: